5 Secrets to Making Your Home Smell Amazing
There’s something special about walking into a home that smells amazing. It instantly makes you feel comforted and at ease. Making your home smell great doesn’t have to be complicated. Here are five simple secrets to make your home smell amazing.
1. Add Essential Oils to Your Air Filters
A simple way to make your whole house smell amazing is to add a few drops of your favorite essential oils to your home’s air filter. Then, each time your HVAC system runs, it will push the scent through the vents in your home.
Lemon, lavender and bergamot are just a few of the calm, refreshing essential oils that can make your home smell amazing.
2. Use Room Sprays
A room spray can instantly change the smell of your home, and the scent will linger for several hours. You can find a variety of room sprays with exquisite scents for home. Best of all, they’re easy to use.
Focus on spraying entryways and living areas. The scent will greet anyone who walks through the door and will follow them into the area of the home where you spend most of your time.
Room sprays are a quick and easy way to make your home smell clean. If unexpected guests show up, you can spray just before they come through the door and instantly make your home smell fresh and clean.
3. Simmer Some Potpourri
Simmering potpourri is another simple trick that will make your home smell amazing. It’s also a great way to make use of food scraps and old spices. The concept is simple: toss aromatic ingredients into a pot of water, simmer, and enjoy the wonderful smell.
Here are some simple stovetop potpourri recipes:
· Fall Spice: 1 apple, 1 orange peel, 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 tablespoons of cloves
· Comfort: 1 lemon, a sprig of rosemary, 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
· Giving Thanks: 1 tablespoon of cloves, 1 orange peel, 1/3 cup of fresh cranberries, 3 cinnamon sticks
For an all-day scent that lasts, try putting your potpourri in a crockpot set too low. You’ll come home to a home that smells amazing.
4. Keep Your Garbage Disposal Clean
How often do you clean your garbage disposal? If you’re like most people, you probably neglect this important part of your home. Your disposal can harbor bacteria, and trapped food particles can create foul odors that make your home smell unpleasant.
To help keep your home smelling amazing, make sure that you clean your disposal regularly.
There are a few ways to clean your disposal:
· Add a baking soda and vinegar to the opening of the disposal. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes (it will start bubbling – that’s normal) before turning on the disposal and rinsing with hot water.
· Feed chopped citrus peel (orange, lemon, lime or a combination) through your disposal a few strips at a time while running cold water. The citrus will give your sink a fresh scent, and it will also help kill bacteria while removing trapped food particles.
While you’re cleaning your disposal, take the time to clean the rest of your sink. Use warm soap and water to wipe down the inside of your sink to remove any leftover food particles and keep your sink looking its best.
5. Add Air-Purifying Plants to Your Home
A natural, passive way to make your home smell amazing is to add air-purifying plants to your home. Some plants have an excellent ability to remove or filter out toxins from the air.
Clean-air plants include:
· English ivy
· Snake plant
· Lady palm
· Boston fern
· Wax begonia
· Peace lily
· Boston fern
· Golden pothos
If you have pets, check to ensure the plants you choose aren’t toxic to your furry friend. Place plants strategically throughout your home to maximize its ability to purify the air. Kitchens and bathrooms are ideal spots.
Adding greenery can also make your home feel more welcoming and uplift your mood.
It’s easier than you think to have an amazing smelling home. Use these five tips to fill your home with a refreshing or comforting scent that guests are sure to love.
What’s your go-to home scent? Share your ideas in the comments below!