Simple Cardio Exercises to Try at Home
While eating healthy food like nuts from boxed.com is a step in the right direction for keeping healthy, it’s just one part of the deal. Exercising is another essential strategy for staying fit.
But then, going to the gym can be a hassle. Sometimes, we’re just too tired (and lazy) to go. Other times, there just isn’t enough time in the day. However, no excuse can diminish the role of exercise in health and well-being.
Fortunately, you don’t need to go all the way to the gym to enjoy the benefits of exercise. Stay fit with these simple and easy home cardio exercises.
1. Jumping Jacks
As children, most people didn’t have to worry about going to the gym or staying fit, thanks to fun exercises like jumping jacks. Jumping jacks combine fun and fitness and are excellent ways to burn fat and increase cardiopulmonary endurance.
To do Jumping Jacks:
– Stand with your arms by your side and your legs wide apart.
– Jump up in the air as you raise your arms over your head.
– Land with your arms in the air and your feet together.
– Jump in the air again and land with your arms back by your side and your legs apart.
Another childhood favorite, skipping is another exercise that moves the whole body. Not only can you work up quite a sweat from skipping, but it’s also easy to do. All you need is a skipping rope and some space. Try alternates like skipping with one foot in the air and skipping the rope twice before you land.
3. Donkey Kicks
Donkey kicks are high-intensity cardio workouts that can burn many calories in a short amount of time.
To do Donkey Kicks:
– Start in the push-up position.
– With your arms and back straight, kick one foot backward and upward in the air.
– Return the foot to the starting position and kick the other in the air.
Donkey kicks can be exhausting if you’re just starting, so be sure to pace yourself. Start with short counts and work your way up.
4. Mountain Climbers
This exercise mimics the action of climbing a mountain (or at least a small hill). It’s toughest on the arms and abdominal muscles. Climbers are a great way to burn some calories, while improving arm and abdominal strength.
To do Mountain Climbers:
– Start with your body in the push-up position.
– Get into the climber’s position by raising your buttocks, and moving your legs closer to the center of your body. (Your legs should remain on the ground and close together.) In this position, your shape should look like an inverted V.
– Bring one knee upwards from the ground and close to your chest. (It should remain under your body.)
– Return the knee and bring the second close to your chest.
– Alternate moving both legs towards your chest.
The motions of performing climbers should feel similar to riding a bike.
5. Stair Climbing
Most people avoid taking the stairs because it’s physically exerting. This is why they are a great cardio workout. You can increase the difficulty of stair climbing by carrying heavy loads.
These simple exercises prove that you don’t need to use the treadmill in the gym to burn calories.