As a member of the female gender, we are often hard-pressed to keep our legs, underarms and all areas of the body as smooth as a baby’s bottom, with nary a string of hair in sight. We go to all lengths and spend more money than we care to think of to ensure we never walk out in public with too much body hair. Unfortunately, society dictates that since we are not born men, we must adhere to the rules of hairless skin. Yet, at the end of the day, we don’t always know how to use the tools we’ve been given to give in to society’s demands. While, today, it is absolutely acceptable to be the best you and wear your body hair as you see fit, we also want to provide you with tools that will help show you the right ways of shaving your legs and any other part of your body for getting smooth results should you choose to shave.
If you want to look your best, there is a lot of effort behind all of that. As women, we are obsessed with makeup, hair, and fashion. Plus, we have to think about nails and a great mani at all times. Another thing that requires a lot of attention is body hair. Even way back, ladies tried to remove it in different ways. This is one of the most unpleasant experiences that women have to go through, mostly because it takes time and some of the methods are painful. Starting from the first razor, pumice stones, sandpaper to electric razors and lasers, we’ve come a long way from the start. Allure made a video that shows the evolution of hair removal in the past 100 years.
The process of removing hair has gone through a lot in the past century. With the evolution of technology, each day we hear about new methods or an appliance that claims to work better than anything else. Even men are getting obsessed with being hair- free in some parts of their body. Nowadays we all need an easy and pain-free way to get rid of all the unwanted hair. Legs, arms, armpits, and eyebrows are just a small portion of the parts that we constantly wax or shave.
The first razor was introduced in 1915. At that time ladies were thrilled to get something that will help them with underarm hair. During these years, flappers became very popular and everyone started wearing sleeveless designs. This discovery was a game-changing move in the world of beauty. Up until this day, we still rely on the razor to remove unwanted hair quickly and without any pain.
Photo Credit: Allure
Women were blessed with the first electric razor in the 40s. In the following decades, they experimented with painful methods that include sandpaper and pumice stones. It was the 60s that brought a revolution in the world of beauty. With the appearance of wax tapes, nothing was the same anymore. Everyone wanted to try the new hair removal method that efficiently removes hair from everywhere you want. The Brazilian wax technique first became popular in the 1980s thanks to the J. Sisters Salon in Manhattan. During the 90s, FDA finally gave green light to hair removal with lasers. Since then it stayed the most efficient and least painful way to remove unwanted hair.
Photo Credit: Panasonic
I am so excited to write this article, because this topic has totally changed my life. Okay, maybe I am exaggerating a little bit, I haven’t made a career switch or bought a home because of this, but wet shaving with a double edge safety razor has definitely greatly improved my hair removal experience.
Shaving with a double edge razor (a type of safety razor, also known sometimes as a three-piece razor) used to be the standard method of shaving, back in the early to mid-1900s. It was only in the ’70s that fully disposable cartridge razor heads started becoming popular, to the point that they completely surpassed double edge razors as the norm. Nowadays, as part of the overall hipster affection towards anything vintage and sustainable, shaving with a safety razor has made a big comeback, albeit almost exclusively with men.
It is no surprise, then, that the person to turn me on to the idea of shaving with a double edge razor was my boyfriend. One day he brought home a beautiful Merkur stainless steel razor, a shaving brush, and a round tub of shaving soap, and I was intrigued.
I watched him sweep the brush through the soap, create a lather, and begin shaving. Afterwards, he raved about how smooth his skin felt, and how easy the whole process was. He was also thrilled at the complete lack of irritation or razor burn.
I had always had problems with hair removal ” no matter how much I exfoliated, waxing still gave me terrible ingrowns, while shaving irritated my skin. I tried shaving my legs with his razor (I replaced the blade and cleaned it well, but I still have to admit it wasn’t completely hygienic).
The experience was night and day from using my regular Venus Razor, and I was hooked. I went out and bought my own set, and I haven’t looked back since. If you think you might also want to make the switch, I have here the complete guide to wet shaving for women (or anyone else who would like to shave their legs, bikini area, underarms, etc.).
But first, I want to talk about the three important elements that make up the perfect formula for wet shaving for women: the double edge razor, the shaving cream or soap, and the shaving brush.
What Is a Double Edge Razor?
A double edge razor is a tool normally made of stainless steel that consists of two or three pieces: the handle, and the one or two parts of the head. A single blade is fitted unto the handle of the double edge razor, with the bottom part of the head shielding it from below, and then the top is screwed above. Both ends of the blade are uncovered, so the razor can be used from both sides of the head.
How Is a Double Edge Razor Different from a Cartridge Razor?
The double edge razor is usually heavier than the cartridge razor, and the only part of it that is disposable is the very light and thin blade. Additionally, nowadays most cartridge razors have between 3-5 blades that go over the skin at once, while a double edge razor only has one blade end glide over the skin at a time.
Why Is a Double Edge Razor Better?
Double edge razor, how I love thee, let me count the ways.
• At every pass of the razor, only one blade comes into contact with the skin, instead of 3 or 5. While this means you might need multiple passes to get a totally smooth feel, it is a much gentler method that is less likely to irritate the skin ” especially if you utilize the technique I outline later on.
• Double edge razors are much more sustainable, since only the tiny titanium blade gets discarded, instead of the full head which is made of a mix of metal and plastic. Additionally, the razor itself is a lifetime investment that won’t have to be replaced ever.
• Since the razor is made of metal, it is a little heavy, so you utilize the natural weight of it to shave, rather than having to exert pressure.
• The long-term cost of shaving with a double edge razor is much lower than that of a cartridge razor.
• Since the cost of replacing the blades is extremely low, you are likelier to replace the blade more often. This means you are always shaving with an adequately sharp razor, which gives a gentler and smoother shave.
• The double edge razor looks super classy sitting on your bathroom shelf, especially if you get it with a nice stand and a classy looking shave brush.
How Do I Find the Perfect DE Razor for Me?
Since most of us women are not shaving our faces, we have to hold the razor a little bit differently. Instead of holding it like a microphone, we hold it like a pencil instead. A razor with a longer handle normally makes this easier, although a standard sized razor can certainly also work.
If you are looking for a quick, excellent razor, the blue handled Jack Black Double Edge Safety Razor, available at Nordstrom for $125, is totally gorgeous and high quality. However, great razors can be purchased for as little as $15, on Amazon.
Just make sure to read reviews and stick to trusted razor brands. Gillette actually makes excellent double edge razors. Other trusted brands include Merkur (this is the one I have), Maggard (who have an excellent starter kit especially for women, with a longer blade), Muhle, Edwin Jagger, and Parker.
What Is the Difference Between Regular Shaving Cream, Shaving Soap, and High Quality Shaving Cream?
So let’s start with the problem: aerosol shaving creams. These are the shaving creams that come in a can at the drugstore. Aerosol already has been properly vilified for its terrible impact on the ozone layer (frankly, I am not sure why it is still okay to sell aerosol cans at all), but it also has negative impact on the skin.
Canned shaving creams contain ingredients called ‘propellants’. Propellants are the flammable ingredients that force the shaving gel to adopt a mousse consistency after it is expelled from the aerosol can. These ingredients are very drying to the skin.
Often times, companies combat that by adding mineral oil to their formula, so that the shaving cream doesn’t feel so drying. The problem with mineral oil is too powerful and occlusive, and in the shaving process, it prevents the skin and hair from absorbing any more water. So save your skin, save the planet, and skip canned shaving creams.
Instead, you have two options. The first one is easier, but also a little pricier: non-pressurized shaving creams in tubes. The benefits of shaving creams are that they are extremely moisturizing to the skin, and are generally much more user friendly. Simply squeeze out some product, apply it to the area you will be shaving, and go to town.
Other shaving creams will actually lather once whipped up with a shaving brush (more on that in a bit). The drawback of shaving creams is that they tend to run out faster, and are a bit on the pricier side.
One excellent, non-lathering shaving cream choice is Shaveworks Pearl Souffle Luxurious Shave Cream. Its smell is gentle and feminine, the formula is rich and creamy, and there is also a bit of glycolic acid in there, to prevent ingrowns and dead skin build up. It’s available at Sephora for $22.00.
Shaving soaps will give you the true, classic wet shave. While they do mandate a shaving brush, they can create a wonderfully moisturizing lather, and last a long time. A good shaving soap is made of a mixture of saponified and unsaponified oils, and will normally come in a round container.
I think shaving soaps are an excellent choice for any of us who have large areas to shave, because they are just so economical. However, since wet shaving for women hasn’t become standard yet, most shaving soaps are marketed towards men.
I believe that a great product is a great product, regardless of marketing, so I’m still happy to recommend the Imperial Barber Grade Glycerin Face & Shave Soap Puck, available at Nordstrom for $12.00.
It is rich in oils that will make the skin feel smooth and allow the blade to glide, but it also contains a lot of glycerin, an ingredient that attracts much needed water to the skin. It is unscented, so you won’t have to worry about the masculine fragrance present in many products marketed towards men.
All About the Shaving Brush
The final element of the perfect wet shaving for women is the shaving brush. Shaving brushes are short handled ” they actually remind me a little bit of Kabuki brushes. The brush hairs are usually made of badger, but horse, boar, blends, and synthetic brushes are also available. These brushes are fairly coarse, so that they can whip up a lather out of both shaving creams and soaps.
To use a shaving brush, you simply get it a little wet, and then rub it over the soap or shaving cream, to create the lather ” I’ll go into more details on this soon. Aside from being able to create the perfect cushion to the blade, shaving brushes can also help lightly exfoliate the skin before shaving, and lift up the hairs.
Lastly, shaving brushes provide a really pleasant old-time experience. The only issue is that perfect shaving brushes for women are not widely available. Most shaving brushes are made for the face, and are a little too small to be perfectly comfortable for leg shaving. However, using them and enjoying their benefits is still worth it.
What Is Wet Shaving?
Wet shaving is the full, traditional experience of shaving with an abundance of hydration. The philosophy behind wet shaving is that having well hydrated skin and hair allows for a smoother, gentler shave. Technically, wet shaving could be done with any type of razor blade, but as you’ve already heard, I greatly prefer double edge blades.
Wet shaving is done when the skin is well hydrated, usually during or after a shower. Thanks to the water that has been absorbed, both the skin and hair are more pliable. After that, any shaving aids used, whether it is a pre-shave oil or a shaving soap, are designed specifically to maintain the presence of moisture in the skin (something that your average store bought shaving cream does not do).
The Ultimate Guide to Wet Shaving for Women
1. Make sure your skin and hair are saturated with a lot of water. I find the easiest way to ensure this is to simply shave in the shower, or immediately after one. Nothing is worse than trying to shave when the skin is dehydrated, seriously.
2. Prepare your skin for the shave by washing and exfoliating it. You might also want to use a pre-shave oil, to create an extra layer of cushion.
3. If you are using a shaving soap or cream that needs to be lathered, you need to prepare the lather. Start by soaking your brush in hot water, and wringing out the excess. Figuring out the perfect amount of water might require some trial and error.
4. Next, either pour a bit of shaving cream into a bowl or cup, or simply unscrew the shaving soap tub. Vigorously swirl your brush through the cream or soap, in order to load it up. It will take between 30 and 45 seconds to adequately load the brush up with the amount of soap that will work for one leg. With a cream a few seconds will suffice.
5. Next, create the lather itself. The traditional wet shaving method calls for building a lather in a bowl, although in my opinion, building the lather directly on the skin is easier and also helps to remove dead skin. Rub the brush against your skin in circular motions, while exerting a bit of pressure.
As you do, the soap and water will begin to foam up and create a lather with the consistency of whipped cream. Once the area you will be shaving is covered in lather, you are good to go.
6. You can now begin shaving. The best angle for shaving is usually at 30 degrees ” that is the angle when the blade can get as close to the skin as possible, and in which no pressure has to be applied.
In the traditional wet shave, shaving is meant to be done with the grain (i.e. going in the same direction towards which the hair grows) for the first pass. This should be done in short strokes, and with no pressure. Going against the grain when the skin is thin and sensitive (bikini area, I’m looking at you!) can cause serious irritation and razor burn.
7. After every few passes, rinse the head of the blade to remove bits of hair and lather that get caught in it.
8. If you so desire, you can now do a second pass. Depending on how close you got with the first pass, and how sensitive your skin is, you might choose to do the second pass against the grain (gives a smoother shave, but has more potential to irritate), or across it (less smooth, but much more gentle on the skin).
Since the skin on the legs is a little thicker, and because I find it very awkward to try to shave the legs with the grain, I tend to only shave my legs against the grain. As long as you follow the prep correctly, stick to shorter strokes, and keep your pressure almost non-existent (and assuming your skin isn’t too sensitive, shaving the legs against the grain will likely be okay).
9. Once you are done, rinse off all of the lather, and enjoy the smooth feel of your legs!
10. As an optional step, you can apply an astringent that will help tighten your pores. Popular astringents include alcohol-free witch hazel, apple cider vinegar heavily diluted in water, or your favorite skin tightening toner.
11. Finish off with a nice layer of moisturizer, to lock in the moisture from your shower and strengthen and nourish your skin. Bonus points if it contains an exfoliating ingredient like glycolic acid, that will help prevent ingrowns, like the Cane + Austin Body Retexture Lotion, which is available at Sephora for $48.
Extra Tips and Tricks for a Perfect Shave
• Water doesn’t have to be hot in order to saturate your skin. In fact, hot water can be very dehydrating to the skin. The best temperature for wet shaving for women is lukewarm.
• If you suffer from ingrowns a day or two after shaving, try an aluminium block.
• If the problems with ingrowns persist, try a body lotion or spray with at least 2% salicylic acid (also known as BHA or beta-hydroxy acid). It exfoliates inside the hair follicle, thereby preventing dead skin from clogging it and blocking the hair.
BHA also has some antibacterial properties, so it can help prevent any infection from occurring. One option is Paula’s Choice Resist Weightless Body Treatment 2% BHA, available at Nordstrom for $26.00.
• If your lather seems too sticky, you need to add a bit more water to your brush.
• If your lather is too runny, you will have to create new lather with less water on the brush or on the skin.
• If you are still struggling to create a perfect lather, or you find that even when shaving with a fresh blade and good lather the blade still seems to nick or irritate your skin, definitely apply a pre-shave oil or coconut oil, before applying the shaving cream/lather. Pre-shave oil can really help with the glide of the blade, but it does make cleaning the blade harder.
• If you can’t seem to make a perfect lather, no matter how much you try, the problem might be that you have hard tap water. Try creating the lather with distilled water, instead.
• You can easily nick your skin when trying to shave below the knee, or other areas where the skin is less taut. Pulling the skin taut before shaving will make things much easier.
• If you are struggling to create a lather straight on your legs, use a small bowl. After loading up your brush, swirl it vigorously around the bowl, until you have created a lather that resembled whipped cream.
• If you are getting a lot of nicks and cuts… well, you should definitely figure out what’s going on, since that shouldn’t be something that happens frequently. The occasional little nick is okay, but you should use a styptic pen to stop the bleeding and kill any bacteria that might cause infection.
• Some people recommend coating freshly shaved skin with an alum block, to prevent infection and irritation. However, this method is often too irritating to the skin, so I think it is better to stick to witch hazel or a BHA based toner or lotion.
How Much Does Switching to Wet Shaving with DE Razor Cost?
A double edge razor is a bigger investment initially, with great razors costing between $25-$75, but they last forever, and the blades themselves only cost a few pennies per blade. A shaving brush costs around $10, and high quality shaving soaps or creams cost between $10 and $20 for a 4-month supply. Initially it might seem like you are spending a lot of money, but after that initial purchase, you will only spend around $20-$30 a year for an amazing shave.
You don’t have to follow every single piece of advice here ” a wet shave with a sharp cartridge razor can still work very well! I just hope I opened up your mind to this wonderful hair removal option.
Have you tried a double edge razor or wet shaving for women before? Think you might give it a chance now? Comment and let me know!
Don’t miss: How to Bleach Arm Hair
Body hair is one of the most notable problems that women have to deal with, and there are so many different ways to get rid of unwanted hair on different parts of the body; they each have their own advantages and disadvantages. Methods like bleaching arm hair and laser hair removal are some of the most popular and effective ways to get your skin the way you want it. Today, we’re going to talk about some of the most popular methods of hair removal, so here are a few tips and tricks on how to bleach arm hair, among other processes, in order to attain the best results.
How to Get Rid of Arm Hair
The first step to handling problems with your arm hair is to figure out the reasons behind it. If you have more arm hair than other women generally have, more than likely you have dark arm hair, and the cause of it might actually be hormonal disorders, or other similar problems related to appearance. Addressing these causes is an important initial step to tackling problems with your body hair, and only after following it should you move on to choosing a suitable and effective way to visually rid yourself of the arm hair.
However, if the hair on your arms doesn’t grow that heavily, like mentioned above, and if the amount of unwanted hair isn’t actually that excessive, you may not worry about hormonal or inner problems, because that amount of hair on your arms is quite natural and easily manageable.
It is very important to remember that shaving arm hair is the least effective method out there, and it is definitely not recommended. It’s probably the easiest method you will come across, and the temporary results might be okay, but the hair will only grow back quickly and thicker than it was before, since your razor can’t pull the hair at its roots, making it more noticeable. So the bit of convenience you would get from that method is definitely not worth the other struggles that comes with it.
Besides methods, like shaving, that aren’t recommended and give little benefit, there are two main groups for arm hair removal: bleaching and mechanical.
Bleaching is a rather simple procedure that includes the use of various products, like decoctions, masks, and gels.
Mechanical treatments are those, which get rid of unwanted hair for a period of time, but must be repeated once hair grows back. The latter will remove part of your hair’s roots, but not all, so it will continue to grow. But, of course, here we will be discussing the bleaching procedure.
The Basic Ways of Bleaching Arm Hair
When the unwanted hair on the arms is not too thick or long, bleaching is quite an effective method. You may use some special products for it, or you may even prepare special masks yourself. Here is one very popular method for bleaching arm hair:
• You may use hydrogen peroxide, which is probably the most effective product for bleaching hair. The most important step is to find the right consistency, which is 3%. Then you need to mix it with water, with a 1:1 ratio. Checking the compatibility of your skin with this product is also important; you need to perform an allergy testing, by applying a drop to the inner side of your elbow and waiting for about 10-15 minutes to see the results. If you don’t feel your skin burning by then and there is no redness, then you may pass to the complete application of the product.
• Take a cotton swab and apply the hydrogen peroxide to the skin slowly. Try to avoid dripping the decoction on the skin, as it has quite a strong influence. After you’ve applied it to the hair of the whole area, you need to wait for 30-40 minutes. Meanwhile you need to follow what you feel, as only a slight tingling is allowed. One more thing to remember is that you shouldn’t keep the decoction on for too long, as you might get burns or bleach the hair too much. As soon as the required time is up, you should rinse off the decoction with cool water, followed by an application of a nourishing cream.
• Instead of hydrogen peroxide you could also use lemon juice. It is another product quite well known for its bleaching properties, and is even used for removing pimples. The application process is the same as with the hydrogen peroxide; just apply the juice and let it stay on for the same time, followed by washing it off with cool water.
• You could also use some special bleaching creams and gels, or simple products like cosmetic clay. Various masks are also used for the same effect.
• The solution of chamomile may also prove to be quite effective for bleaching arm hair. To make it, you can use any type of dried and packed flowers, taking 3-4 tablespoons for a cup of boiled water. The mixture should be left to cool down. The result will be a universal solution for bleaching arm hair in case you have allergies to hydrogen peroxide or other cosmetic means. Just apply the mixture to your skin, and let it sit until it dries; letting it dry under the sun could help further its lightening effects.
• One more pleasant and easy way to bleach arm hair is sunbathing in general. Even without the chamomile tea solution, being exposed to the sunlight will help lighten your hair, due to its being burned by the heat and rays of the sun.
Alternative Ways of Getting Rid of Arm Hair
Now, the mechanical application options are made to remove the hair and its follicles, with electrolysis being one of the most widespread options among them. The biggest drawback to the procedure is definitely its painfulness, yet the efficiency is quite high, as it enables you to get rid of even the shortest and the lightest hairs. Another advantage is that the hair only starts to grow back after around 14 days.
Waxing and sugaring are other mechanical options of getting rid of arm hair. They work by first applying a sugary wax to the skin, followed by a strip of tissue paper. With an abrupt movement, the latter is removed from the skin, taking off all the hair.
Sugaring is even more suitable and effective in this respect, since you may learn how to make the sugary mixture yourself at home instead of spending money on buying wax. In addition, this method enables you to get rid of the shortest hair too, while in the case of waxing you can’t remove hair that is under 5 mm in length. Sugaring is also less painful.
In order to make the sugar mixture, you need to take some sugar and a little bit of water. You can make a syrup by mixing 10 tablespoons of sugar with one cup of water. You could also add the juice of half of a lemon to the syrup, which would help to avoid crystals in the syrup, and would also make it more elastic.
You will need to put the mixture of the sugar and water on a burning stovetop, and keep it there for about 10 minutes, after which you will be able to tell whether the syrup is ready or not based on the consistency. The correct consistency will let you gather it into a ball and fix to the hair firmly. The mixture can be used several times, and you will apply it the same way you would with wax.
Laser hair removal is another method of getting rid of arm hair, and is another one that is considered to be one of the most effective hair removal options. There are special salons for laser epilation, where you pass special tests and talk to specialists before moving on to the procedure.
During the actual laser hair removal procedure, a laser is used to destroy the follicles of the hair, resulting in the hair simply not growing back. Still, this is not a guarantee for getting rid of unwanted hair forever, and the repetition of the procedure is also required after a period of time that varies from person to person.
Some More Tips and Know-Hows On Arm Hair Removal
Finally, there is another range of nuances that you should know in order to avoid a number of problems connected with arm hair removal. Following these easy steps will result in the best and smoothest hair removal process:
1. Since mechanical means makes up one of the methods quite often practiced for removing arm hair, you should know the exact time when you can go in for it. For instance, it’s absolutely not recommended to go for depilation right after the ovulation period, because it is possible that the blood flow to the skin becomes more intense before the period, which is why this type of a procedure is less painful in the middle of the cycle.
Trying to do it in the evening is another good idea, since the body slightly swells up around the morning hours, which makes it difficult to locate the smallest of hairs on the body, resulting in a dissatisfying outcome from your procedure. Hair removal is a painstaking task, so why not do everything you can to ensure quick success?
2. Take care of your skin properly. Even by putting in some careful consideration when you select your skin scrubs, your process of getting rid of unwanted hair will be so much easier, especially during the summer.
3. Don’t forget to use moisturizers, because all of the mentioned methods above have some notable influence on the skin, and the risk of dehydration exists for all hair removal processes. Using a moisturizer can help you avoid many unpleasant discomforts..
4. Try to stand the pain during procedures, such as laser hair removal. The most painful is the first procedure, after which the unpleasant feeling and the pain will diminish somehow. You need to withstand the pain of the first visit; it may help ease the pain if you think about how nice the results will be when al is said and done.
These are all basic things and details that you need to know before trying to get rid of arm hair, including techniques like bleaching. What you need to remember is that perfection requires some real effort, and if you manage to follow each method’s suggested steps as they are listed, you will end up with some truly pleasing results.
Photos courtesy of Shutterstock
Don’t Miss: Shaving The Bikini Area Without Irritation
Unwanted hair is the problem of very many ladies with very many types of individual body peculiarities and skin types. The areas around which most of their attention is concentrated are also quite diverse and at the same time feminine-specific. Thus, what we are going to speak about is the range of the magic tricks that may help you get through shaving the bikini area without irritation.
Irritation is thus a completely normal and expected backlash of the body against the outer intervention, which also causes some damages on the top layer of the skin. The blood flows to the damaged area in order to make the recovery go faster, but in many cases the recovery takes longer causing quite a big range of troubles for the owner.
Thus, first of all you need some preparation in advance, which can be made with a warm shower or bath. Due to these procedures the skin will get softer and smoother and will have the excess moisture evaporate from the surface. The warm shower is also necessary to make the shaved hair smoother.
Treatments for Shaving: How to Choose
The good razor is one of the most important and basic things that should be taken into account when picking the range of tools necessary for the process. Nowadays, the types of the razors that are suggested to your choices are quite diverse and cool. Many ladies give their preference to options, which are meant for men saying that they are more effective. It’s really worth experimenting.
Before shaving you need to apply a special cream or gel and it’s not recommended using any soap or shower gel. The products for sensitive skin are what we need. In case you feel normal with the specific smell, you can even use the foam of shaving that men use. In addition, if you have picked all the necessary products but the results haven’t been as satisfying as they should, you may cease repeating those procedures and think about some other alternatives. Thus apart from using simple razors you may also use some other tools and methods for removing the unwanted hair. The electrical razors are one of those options. The outcomes are by no means worse than in case of using simple razors while the negative influence is essentially less here.
In addition, you shouldn’t forget about the depilation creams either. Many retailers assure that in comparison with shaving, in case of using depilators the effect will be just the same while the skin will remain cleaner compared with shaving. The inflammation will also be less and the only possible unpleasant thing may be the smell.
Tips for Removing Irritation after Shaving
1. One essential thing that you need to know is that irritation occurs because the skin gets damaged and in order to avoid that you need to move the razor by the direction of the growth of the hair. Of course, that makes the quality of the razor reduce a bit, but this is one of the best solutions for you.
2. Before and after each application the razor should be cleaned and its clear condition is to be secured.
3. In order to get rid of irritation after shaving you may also use special treatments like creams or lotions. There are no strong recommendations for the products, but each should be picked individually. The possibility of the occurrence of allergic reactions should also be taken into account. Many women opt for a children’s soap for sensitive skin.
4. In addition, you can also use some alcoholic ointment after shaving, for which you need to combine some alcohol with water taken with equal proportions. But you also need to remember that this mixture may dry out the skin and contribute to the occurrence of redness.
And once more we come to the conclusion that getting rid of skin irritation is possible joining all the preventing measures with cosmetic means, folk treatments and other curing options, and even ointments with hormones. Most of the times the products like ointments with hormones are most effective and suitable. Using the ointments for irritation is also very important to be done carefully, since despite the fact that they are irreplaceable for their effect they might also cause addiction.
You can also try out the folk treatments, for instance, grinding a pair of aspirin pills and rubbing them over the bikini zones. After the process is done you will have to process the skin with a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide or a slice of lemon.
So here was another great range of amazing and useful skin care tips and tricks that will help you get rid of the irritation of the shaved areas effectively and to enjoy the flabbergasting looks and effect they produce together with the products you pick.
Photo courtesy of Peace Love Shea
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Unwanted Hair For Good
Smooth and soft skin is the dream of any woman. It was back in the times of Cleopatra that hair removal with wax appeared and was first practiced by the queen herself. There exist a number of ways of removing unwanted hair including shaving, waxing, using different types of DIY treatments. Removing the unwanted hair is thus one of the primary concerns of many women and getting rid of the hair for good is like a salvation for many of them, which is not easy to achieve. Another dream is getting rid of the unwanted hair easily and as painlessly as possible. This does sound impossible a bit but the modern cosmetology has some secret magic tricks to combine all that in one place. So now we are going to speak about the main ways of getting rid of unwanted hair for good!
Getting Rid of Unwanted Hair Using Laser
Laser epilation is one of the most popular ways of getting rid of unwanted hair. The essence of this method is the influence of the laser on the follicle of the hair, as a result of which the latter gets destroyed and the hair stops growing. Due to several repetitions of the procedure, you can say farewell to unwanted hair forever.
If you have picked this method, we would suggest knowing several nuances and details about this procedure.
First of all, these laser treatments work for dark hair only, but they are absolutely useless in case of the fluff. The reason is that the dark hair contains way bigger proportions of melanin, which absorbs the laser’s energy and destroys the follicle.
Secondly, the laser removal of unwanted hair is quite expensive so you also need to be aware of the expenses you may appear to face when going for this treatment.
The next way of getting rid of unwanted hair is going for a photo epilation. This is the method of removing the unwanted hair with the help of light, having appeared in salons some 10 years ago. It’s one of the most popular methods of epilation nowadays and the essence of this technique is using the light impulses, which penetrate into the depth of the follicle and destroy it. Like the laser epilation, photo epilation is also suitable for natural brunettes.
In order to totally destroy the follicle, you’ll need more than 5 procedures, which should be done once a month for the beginning, then going less frequent. The cost of this epilation is less than in the previous case, but still, it may also give you a matter to think over.
In addition, for both types of epilations there are a number of contraindications like skin diseases and sun burns.
The invention of the Elos technology was a real revolution in the fashion world. This method combined the benefits of photo and laser epilations and got rid of a number of disadvantages both of those techniques had. This method is based on the simultaneous application of the laser and photo impulses, and one great thing about it is the total absence of any kind of unpleasant feelings, being suitable even for the people having allergies. It is, of course, recommended for the bikini zone, due to the subtle and delicate influence. 5 to 10 visits to the salon including gaps of 1.5-2 months will be enough for getting rid of the unwanted hair for good. The cost is, of course, quite high.
Other Ways of Getting Rid of Unwanted Hair
How to Get Rid of Unwanted Hair On the Face
This is one of the primary concerns of many women when speaking about removing unwanted hair. This especially refers to the upper lip hair removal. Thus, one trustworthy method of getting rid of upper lip hair is using the solution of Rivanol (Ethacridine lactate) with the proportion 1:1000, which should be applied to the areas above the upper lip and rubbed over the hair. After several times of repeating the process you’ll forget about the upper lip hair.
Another effective way of getting rid of upper lip hair is using green grapes. Since this is one of the most sensitive areas of the face you should be very careful with any treatment you use. In this case you need to split a single grape berry in two and rub it over the areas above the lip with massaging movements. As for using the squeezed juice, you can apply it using a handkerchief rather than a cotton ball since the latter absorbs the juice quickly not letting it get applied to the areas thoroughly.
How to Get Rid of Unwanted Hair On Legs and Arms
The next thing that many women would like to know is how to get rid of the hair on legs and arms. For this procedure you will need lemon acid taken with little proportion and some sugar, taken in quantities of some 200 g. the given ingredients should be mixed and put on heat to get a paste-like mass after adding some three tbsp. of water to the mixture before heating. Further, you need to apply this mass to the legs and feet and when it dries completely, take it off abruptly. In the end you also need to scrub the skin with the infusion of pine nuts and vodka. To make this infusion you’ll need a cup of pine nuts with the shells and 0.5 liters of vodka to mix it with the nuts. The liquid you’ll get should be kept in a container with dark walls for about a month. If you want to remove the hair of arms and legs forever, then you should use this method.
How to Get Rid of Breast Hair
There is also a trustworthy way of getting rid of breast hair. For this you need to use chestnut. There is an idea about removing the hair of this territory being not recommended that’s why we will use a simple method.
In order to prepare this treatment you need to take one cup of buckeye, peel them off and add two cups of boiling water to them. After this you need to put the mixture on heat and regularly mix it. This should be done continuously until the water disappears thoroughly. The mass you’ll get should be used cold and will help you get rid of the hair around the areas of breast completely.
Trustworthy Recipes for Removing Unwanted Hair
Here are some more recipes that will help you get rid of unwanted hair without putting any excessive efforts into the process.
1. Hair Removal Recipe with Datura
You can prepare a decoction of datura to get rid of the unwanted hair on the body, for which you’ll need to mix 150 gr of this herb with a liter of water, in which the herb should be boiled. This decoction needs to applied to the areas you want regularly using a cotton ball.
2. Hair Removal Recipe with Permanganic Acid
One more effective recipe can be prepared with permanganic acid, which contributes to the fall of the hair with the roots. For this procedure you need to mix a little bit of the permanganic acid with water and take steam baths for the bikini zone with the mixture lasting for some 20 minutes.
3. Hair Removal Recipe with Nettle Seeds
The following impressive hair removal recipe you can opt for is the one prepared with nettle seeds. To make it, you need to take 40 gr of the seeds and then add 100 gr of vegetable oils to it. Infuse the mixture for two weeks. Afterwards you need to filter the mass and apply the infusion 2 times a day.
4. Hair Removal Recipe with Iodine
Iodinated solution also contributes to getting rid of hair permanently. For this recipe you will need 1.5 gr of iodine, 2 gr of ammonia, 5 gr of castor oil and 35 gr of rubbing alcohol. All these components should be mixed together, and then you should wait for a couple of hours until the mixture turns pale. Apply the solution to the hair twice a day.
5. Another Hair Removal Recipe with Datura
For the following recipe you need to grind the seeds in a coffee grinder. Then pour some vodka on them with such proportions that you may have a thick cream. Infuse this for 3 weeks and then apply it to the areas with unwanted hair.
6. Hair Removal Recipe with Milkweed
For its preparation you will need 50 gr of aloe juice, and equal proportions of slaked lime, as well as 100 gr of the juice made from stems and leaves of milkweed. Further just mix all well and let the mixture stay for 2-3 hours. Afterwards apply the mixture to the problematic areas and after 15 minutes rinse it off with warm water. At the end of the procedure you should also apply a cream or Vaseline.
7. Hair Removal Recipe with Honey
For another time-consuming yet effective way of getting rid of unwanted hair is the treatment made with the juice of half a lemon and a tbsp. of honey. After mixing these ingredients well and heating it, you need to apply it to the skin when still hot and rub it off when absolutely dry. This procedure should be repeated 3-4 times a week.
8. Hair Removal Recipe with Wild Vines
This is a magical and simple way of having ideal results. For this you just need the juice from the shoots of the wild vines. It should be rubbed onto the areas with unwanted hair and that’s it!
9. Hair Removal Recipe with Gidroperita
For another effective means of hair removal you need 15 drops of ammonia and 15% solution of gidroperita. After mixing the components you need to moisten a cotton ball into it and apply it to the problematic areas. After the mixture goes dry, you need to repeat the application some 3-4 times more. Finally, you should leave the white coat for an hour or overnight if possible. Then you just need to rinse it off with warm water and apply a nourishing cream or Vaseline.
10. Hair Removal Recipe with Datura Roots
This is a super effective way of getting rid of unwanted hair on the body, without any traumatic reactions and side effects. Thus to prepare this recipe you need to take the roots of datura and boil them in a liter of water to get a strong decoction. Then you just need to rub the problematic areas with it and remove the hair painlessly and softly. For that you need to rub the skin with a cloth moistened in the boiled decoction and repeat that several times a day for at least a couple of weeks. Still, it’s important to try out the influence of datura on a small area of skin before passing to massive application in order to find out the possible allergic reactions towards it.
11. Hair Removal Recipe with Greek or Pine Nuts
The next effective way of removing unwanted hair of the body is using the infusion of Greek or pine nuts taking the shells of either and making an infusion, which should be applied to the problematic areas to get rid of the hair. This procedure will be effective if you use it regularly, several times a day. You should go on doing this until having visual improvements and good results. The latter also depend on the individual characteristics of your organism.
12. Hair Removal Recipe with Hydrogen Peroxide
Using hydrogen peroxide for hair bleaching is quite popular. But few people know about the fact that it can also be used for hair removal. First it just bleaches the hair making it weak and hardly noticeable, then absolutely removing unwanted hair from the skin. This treatment can be used not only for facial hair but also for the hair on the legs and arms, for which you might need to struggle a bit longer. In order to get rid of unwanted hair forever you may also use the mixture of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. For this treatment you need to take 5 drops of ammonia and mix it with a tsp. of liquid soap and hydrogen peroxide. Taking the latter with the 6% proportion will give you quicker results. This mixture should be applied to the problematic areas for ten minutes after which it should be removed with chamomile infusion, which is popular with its recovering and regenerating qualities.
Here were the basic ways you can use to remove the unwanted hair from your body using natural ingredients or opting for the professional and specialized procedures!
Photos courtesy of Shutterstock
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Bikini Hair
If you happen to face a problem like upper lip hair, you are sure to be in search of an effective and cool treatment for getting rid of it as soon as possible. There will hardly be any girl, who’d feel satisfied having unwanted hair on any part of her body, especially the face. On your hunt for the most effective and easiest ways of removing unwanted hair, make sure to check out our tips on how to bleach upper lip hair at home!
Before passing to the hair removal process, you need to analyze the situation first. Thus, first of all you need to figure out the following:
• If the hair is tiny and thin and is practically invisible on the skin, you don’t even need to do anything. That’s the natural hair cover of the skin and there’s no need to take measures.
• If the hair started growing suddenly and very intensely, this might signal about a change in the organism and in this case you need to consult a doctor before passing to certain methods of getting rid of unwanted hair.
• If the hair is quite thick and dense, you need to consult the specialist for picking the right method of salon procedures.
• If you have dark skin you also need to pay attention to the fact that it’s not recommended bleaching unwanted hair at all. The reason is that bleaching the hair, you can’t avoid making the areas above the lip go lighter as well. So try to pick something else in this case.
• It makes sense bleaching upper lip hair if you have noticeable but soft hair. This can be something genetically predisposed or just a more noticeable natural cover.
• In any case you shouldn’t go for any type of epilation at home or use tweezers because this might end up with making you face the problem of having more and thicker hair.
How to Bleach Upper Lip Hair
As for bleaching upper lip hair, it’s very easy and comfortable for doing at home. Besides, it’s safe and won’t make you risk having the opposite effect. You can thus choose one of the options available:
1. Special Products for Bleaching Facial Hair
There are a number of companies producing such creams and kits and most of the times those products delicately change the color of the hair, leaving the skin with its natural shade. They also have special instructions with step-by-step guides for having the most effective results. The drawback of these creams may be the fact that some of them may be too expensive or not that effective as you would like.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
A very simple and easy-to-find treatment you can use for quick and effective results is hydrogen peroxide, available in any pharmacy and generally being not expensive. The mixture of hydrogen peroxide with a little water should be applied to the areas above the upper lip, repeating the process every day. If the skin goes slightly lighter as well, you shouldn’t worry because this effect will fade away in some 24 hours. Still, you should limit the frequency of repetition of this treatment if you notice some irritation.
3. Mixtures Based on Hydrogen Peroxide
a. Because of the fact that it’s not always comfortable to apply the liquid of hydrogen peroxide, there exist a number of mixtures and creams containing this element as a key. The advantage of these creams is that it’s much easier to apply and to prepare. Thus one of the easiest ways is to mix the hydrogen peroxide with a shaving cream. It also sticks to the skin easier. After half an hour you need to wash the mixture and apply a nourishing cream.
b. In addition, you can also mix the hydrogen peroxide with liquid soap and add a couple of drops of ammonia mixing all with Vaseline. After several minutes, when the mixture dries on the skin, you need to wash it off with warm water. If you feel the skin burning or experience other unpleasant feelings, you need to wash it off right away.
c. You can also mix 100 g of hydrogen peroxide with 2 pills of crushed Hydroperitum, 5 drops of ammonia and flour. The latter is also a great bleaching product. The mixture needs to be applied directly to the hair and kept there for some 10 minutes. This can be used daily. The hair will go lighter and will eventually either go thin and not noticeable or will fall off.
4. Dyeing Products
Some girls prefer the dyeing creams, which secure the effective bleaching of the hair. Following the instructions, they make the mixture and apply it to the upper lip. After keeping it there for some 10-15 minutes they wash it off. Some irritation may follow the application, but it will disappear shortly.
After the continuous application, your skin will become lighter and the hair will go thinner. What you need to remember is that before passing to the application for the first time, you need to have a test on some other part of skin, applying a little bit of the cream to see whether your skin is sensitive towards it or not.
5. Lemon Juice for Bleaching Hair
One of the most widespread treatments for bleaching hair is lemon juice. You can simply use the juice applying it to the upper lip and go sunbathe, or prepare a special mask, taking one egg white and 2 spoons of lemon juice, mixing them with foam and applying to the areas you want to bleach. You can remove it after some 15 minutes.
Bleaching the upper lip hair is quite easy and the most important thing is following the reaction of the skin attentively. Besides, you need to remember that the skin becomes especially sensitive during pregnancy and the period of breast-feeding. Thus, you need to be especially attentive during that very period. The next thing you need to do is pick the right method and give it enough time to take effect. Upper lip hair may become one of the most undesirable and frustrating problems any woman can face and it’s really important to treat it accordingly in order to have all the necessary assets for feeling confident, complex-free, and just beautiful.
Photos courtesy of DesignScene
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Bikini Hair
In order to be a well-groomed woman, you need to pay attention to everything from garments to skin care and teeth! In addition, there are a number of other details that a lady should pay attention to and that are not immediately noticeable to others. Such is the skin softness, for instance. And one important ingredient of preserving the skin smooth and soft is removing the hair on certain areas. Bikini hair and its removal are one of the most controversary and problematic matters of discussions for many specialists and doctors and there isn’t, in fact, a joint agreement on it. First of all it is the decision of each woman, whether or not she wants those areas to be free of hair. Thus, that’s what we are going to speak about right now, noting the cons and pros of getting rid of bikini hair, as well as introducing some effective techniques on how to get rid of bikini hair that at home.
The Pros and Cons of Getting Rid of Bikini Hair
The very first thing we would like to note as a disadvantage of shaving the bikini zone is that this is the very area, where the skin is especially sensitive and fragile for cuts and injuries, which will subject you to the risk of having infections in those parts. But speaking generally, this is something that can happen anywhere and you can also pick such methods of removing the hair, which will exclude the injuries as such. Laser epilation is one of such methods, which works on hair only and doesn’t touch the skin in any way. But this type of epilation along with photo-epilation are those you can have at beauty salons and at times they are really expensive. Other cheaper methods like using chemical treatments can really damage the skin, so you need to be extremely careful when using them.
The Main Methods of Removing Bikini Hair
First of all you need to know that in order to get rid of bikini hair, you may use two types of treatments: epilation and depilation. Despite the similarity of pronunciation they differ significantly. In case of the first you have the hair removed with the roots, while the second is just the result of some mechanical treatments, which only remove the upper visible part of the hair.
After epilation your skin remains soft and smooth and the hair that grows out later is softer and less noticeable. Eventually you may even reduce the frequency of visits to the beauty salon to once a month. But in case of depilation this won’t work, as it only removes the visible part of hair and after some days you’ll see the hair without any changes in looks.
The main plus of depilation is that it’s absolutely painless. This is one of the basic reasons why many women opt for depilation rather than epilation, because they are not ready to stand the pain epilation sometimes causes.
Depilation can be carried out with a number of ways, too. One of the most popular ways is using the razor or making use of special creams. The latter is comparably more comfortable and safe to do. You only need to apply the cream and take off the hair with special tools after a certain period of time. On the other hand, using the razor can be dangerous in terms of getting injuries and cuts.
As for the chemical depilation, there are certain contraindications here, as well. It is not allowed to use this kind of treatments if you have damaged skin, even the tiniest ones.
When it comes to epilation, it can be of the following types:
2. Laser epilation
4. Using electro-epilators
We will discuss some of these methods right now. But before that, we will introduce the advantages of laser epilation and whether it is worth the efforts and money spent in the salon or not.
The main positive aspect of laser epilation is the momentarily noticeable result and the painlessness of the whole procedure. Except for the slight tingling feel and the flow of warmth to the areas of application, you don’t feel anything else. This kind of procedure is carried out with courses, including 8-10 visits to a salon. After this some 5 years of break is made and after the first course such results as the total absence of hair around those territories can be achieved.
Still, even having these wonderful aspects in mind, it’s not recommended going for laser epilation earlier than 17 years, and during pregnancy. In addition, laser epilation is prohibited in case of eczema and psoriasis. Diabetes of any type are also included in the list of contraindications.
What refers to the feedback about this procedure, the ideas vary depending on the individual characteristics and the condition of the endocrine system and the hormonal balance and, of course, on the level of the qualification of the specialist doing everything. Some people have great results from the 3rd time, while others may complain of the fact that even though the growth of the hair slowed down, the hair didn’t disappear in the end. In addition, others note experiencing pain during the procedure.
Getting Rid of Bikini Hair at Home
There are two main ways of getting rid of bikini hair at home, and they both have certain popularity among women. The first is using the razor and the second is using electric epilators. Still you need to figure out which type you like most, and for that you need to take into account the following points:
1. Working with the razor is very easy, but the results you get are not long-lasting at all. The hair starts appearing in some two days and in case of using special creams you can slow down the process to two days more maximum.
2. It’s extremely not recommended using razors that are created for the legs and disposable options. They will simply not secure the results you want. It’s interesting that the razors meant for men will prove to be even more effective in this case.
3. The procedure needs to be carried out after shower on warm skin. This will smooth the feel of discomfort a bit. Besides, the bikini area needs to be some type of cover, like cream or gel applied on it some 1-2 minutes beforehand in order not to get it irritated.
4. The hair removal should be carried out with movements going in the direction of their growth and not against it because this way you risk getting serious injuries in addition, even making the process of growth faster. After the application, you also need to use some smoothing and calming creams.
5. As for the electrical epilators, what you need to remember here is that this process is quite painful. Though after the 2-3 applications, the pain gets less and less disturbing. In addition, in case of many women the results are worth the try because the frequency of use of this tool may reduce to once in 15 days.
6. The preparations are the same as in case of using the razor. Still you might need to make some changes. Particularly, in case of some ladies, the process may require being completed in water, which will enable them to weaken the pain. After the procedure, you need to disinfect the skin.
Waxing is a less popular technique used by women at home, accompanied with the other technique being sugaring. Many doctors do not recommend going for this type of epilation, because of the high level of risks of getting injuries. The abrupt movements that are made while removing the hair can result in serious inflammations and redness.
The essence of both methods is applying the warm dense mass to the areas required and removing the special sticking paper with an abrupt movement thus also removing the hair under it. The effect of such procedures lasts up to 3-4 days.
For some women, however, waxing has an equally great effect as laser epilation, helping them to get rid of hair for quite a long time. After several procedures, the hair stops growing, but this is true about the girls, who naturally have thin and less hair.
In case of genetic predisposition, the hair removal may be a lifelong activity, because girls, who are genetically predisposed to having bikini hair will not reach any effective and lifelong results with any type of epilation.
Thus, we again come to the conclusion that it is the question of every woman, and she is to decide whether she wants to go for removing the bikini hair or not and what method might be maximum suitable and effective for her. What every lady needs to remember is that removing bikini hair, she will really boost her flabbergasting looks and be even more unforgettable and perfect, especially for such occasions as a rest on the beach.
Thus, now you have the insight about getting rid of bikini hair and all you need to do is think over them and choose the best option for you or not choose anything at all!
Photos courtesy of Vogue
Don’t Miss: Laser Hair Removal Tips
Unwanted hair growth is one of the most annoying and undesirably frequent beauty problems that especially the representatives of older age groups are at times being obliged to face. There are a number of reasons that might cause the appearance of hair on face, like the hormonal disorders, for instance. And this is, indeed, something that needs to be tackled upon. So here we are going to speak about the main causes of facial hair growth among women and the treatments they can opt for in order to overcome this problem.
Basic Causes of Facial Hair Growth
Thus talking about the basic causes of facial hair growth, we can first of all note that hirsutism as such is characterized by the excessive hair growth on the open areas of women’s face and body. The primary reason as we noted is the disorder of the hormonal balance in the organism. Nowadays this problem becomes more and more widespread among women and nearly 20% of them have to deal with this problem. Still, in the majority of cases this problem gets easily overcome with the help of using the correct treatments.
One of the most frequently encountered reasons for this is the unstable hormonal levels, which can be basically found with teenagers, before the menopause and after it. In any case in order to realize the process thoroughly, women have to turn to doctors, more exactly to gynecologists and endocrinologists.
If along with the hair growth you are experiencing problems like menses and weight gaining, then you need to turn to a doctor for help right away.
The hair follicles are very sensitive and they react immediately to any change in the organism. The sudden increase in the facial hair growth might not only indicate about the overload of the testosterone hormone, but also a number of diseases, cancer being one of them.
This problem is often caused by incorrectly picked contraceptives, steroids, etc. Some medicaments like, for instance, immunosuppressant cyclosporine used by those, who have implants, also cause some situations, which are similar to those of facial hair growth, which is called hypertrichosis (the excessive growth of colorless hair). Those women who suffer from anorexia are also subjected to hypertrichosis quite often. Still, this hair generally falls down when the consumption of these medicaments becomes equal to null.
For women having this problem defined as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), it’s important to limit the serious deviations at the very beginning. For those, who suffer from this problem, there are special combined oral contraceptives and spironolactone, which prevent the further growth of hair, though do not help to get rid of the existing ones.
In case of having some other health issues, spironolactone is rather recommended. The use of this product needs to be limited only in case you are planning or expecting a baby. In any case you won’t be able to avoid epilation, physical exercises and the loss of excessive weight.
Treatments for Overcoming Facial Hair Growth
There are a number of treatments you can opt for, if you want to get rid of that problem. They go as follows:
1. Plucking: This is one of the cheapest and the most effective ways of fighting the problem. Technically, there is one thing that you need to be careful about, which is the fact that when you pluck a hair, it becomes thicker and more visible.
2. Waxing: Waxing is the following widespread variant of removing hair from the face. The result is quite long-lasting. This is suitable for the average and low levels of the hair growth. The disadvantage is that you need to let the hair grow a little bit in order to be able to wax it all.
3. Electrolysis: The next technique and treatment is electrolysis, which is a more effective way of removing hair. The results of this procedure are especially long-lasting and the process itself damages the structure of the follicles because of the influence of weak impulses of current. In order to get the results that you want, you need to repeat this process for some more time. The disadvantage here is that the whole procedure is quite painful especially for those, who have sensitive skin.
4. Laser and Photoepilation: These two are probably the most suitable and successful means of getting what you want, at the same time being totally speechless. They have a number of advantages like the one-time and forever effect, as well as those of absence of contraindications. During this process the beam of the apparatus distorts the follicles and prevents the hair from growing. It is also suitable for sensitive skin.
Thus, here were the basic causes of facial hair growth among women and the types of treatments that you can use in order to get rid of such annoying problems as facial hair and to enjoy your beauty to the full.
Photos courtesy of Shutterstock
Once you have noticed excessive hair on your face or any part of the entire body, the problem of removing it involves you immediately! Actually, the problem is not that much about the very hair removing, as now there are so many hair removal methods that you can make the right choice for you taking into account your skin type and budget. The problem mainly concerns the variety of options that make you doubtful about their quality, effectiveness and results. We are here to give some basic info about hair removal options and especially talk about laser hair removal, which has become the most effective and widely spread hair removal option worldwide.
Before passing on to the hair removal options, firstly, find out the source of the excessive hair growth. You may have the tendency of having unwanted hair on the areas that it normally shouldn’t appear (such as the upper lip, the chin or the nipples) inborn: it may be either hereditary or related to the ethnic heritage. Otherwise, it can be a consequence of an illness and its medical treatments (like polycystic ovaries), hormonal disorder, etc.. As you see, it’s very individual. Whatever it is, the fact is that excessive hair is unpleasant and needs to be removed immediately, preferably for good!
As we mentioned above, there are various hair removal methods, such as plucking, shaving, bleaching, depilation, friction, tweezing, waxing, sugaring, electrolysis, IPL hair removal and laser hair removal. You should choose one according to your skin and hair type, as well as the degree of sensitivity of your skin. While all the above mentioned methods of hair removal can be cheaper and can target women with different hair colors and skin types, they don’t deliver long-lasting, let alone permanent results. To this end, we have to admit that laser hair removal is perhaps the best option of reducing or sometimes even killing the unwanted hair for good.
Laser hair removal first appeared approximately 20 years ago and became very popular due to the mechanism that it removes excessive hair permanently or for a long time. The laser split light works perfectly: in a few minutes you get rid of the odd hair and what is the most important thing it doesn’t leave any marks on your skin. The split light destroys hair from the root, which is the reason why the hair doesn’t appear back again so soon. They say that lasers don’t work well for women with light color or blond hair type. It is partially true, but it all depends on the skin type, so to exclude that kind of hair would be incorrect. However, laser hair removal works best for dark-haired women with a light skin tone. Just in a few sessions, you’ll feel that the hair growth gets lesser and sometimes even the unwanted hair disappears forever. Moreover, if you have had those unpleasant razor red bumps, they automatically get treated too and as a result you get the hairless smooth skin you have always dreamt to have.
Keep in mind that undergoing a laser hair removal session, the hair will not immediately disappear. You have to take several sessions, depending on your skin type and the hair. After one session, only a small portion of hair grows back, while the rest is sleeping. Laser hair removal kills only the active hair, and as the sleeping hair also grows back, you have to take another session to remove it too. It’s also important to avoid going to the beach, since the harmful sun rays may “burn” the delicate area that has been just treated with lasers.
Since the time laser hair removal first appeared, many years have passed, therefore the techniques and laser technologies continue advancing year after year. The good news about laser hair removal is that it really works well now, leading to permanent hair loss. Although the earlier lasers promised only permanent hair reduction, the newer technologies can already kill the hair for good. So although this procedure may cost a bit more than all the other methods of hair removal, calculating the money and the time you spent on shaving, waxing and other ways of hair removal each time, you’ll realize that it’s really worth the price and the little pain that you may feel during each session. This hair removal option is not connected with unbelievable amounts of money, so you can definitely afford it, if you want it strongly. Try it and you are sure to love the effectiveness of laser hair removal!
Photos courtesy of Thinkstock Photos