6 Mistakes You Might Be Making When Washing Your Face
We are not cavemen and though the caveman regimen has done wonders for some individuals with acne after 60 days of not using any soap or water on the face, it is quite important that we do cleanse the skin most exposed to the sun, dirt, and grime during the day. Wash your face the wrong way and you might actually be adding to your skin problems in terms of oiliness, breakouts and irritation or dryness. Here we present some of the most common mistakes many of us make when washing our faces for you to get to know them and avoid them from now on.
We make too many mistakes when it comes to such a simple chore as keeping our faces clean however. When we wake up in the morning, it’s the first thing we do. When we are ready to go to sleep, we make sure we’ve washed away the evidence of the day’s hard work. During the day we might need to wash a time or two or three as well. At the end of the day, how we wash our faces can make a huge difference in our overall appearance. Strange as it may sound, there are actually steps we must rigorously follow to ensure we are doing it right.
1. You are most probably using the wrong products. It may not be necessary to use product, but the American Academy of Dermatology most definitely recommends it for the proper removal of all excess dirt and makeup. You should be using something gentle and without the addition of alcohol it should be non-abrasive and not remove the healthy skin cells and natural oils along with the waste. It should neither be too gentle that it requires a double use, nor too harsh that it irritates the skin or has it feeling tight.
2. If you do not wear makeup or sunscreen or any other product that you slather over your skin, skip using the cleanser more than once or twice a day, unless, of course, you have been sweating. After all, there is little to take off and tepid water shall do the job nicely. Should you overdo it however, you may be looking at the overproduction of natural oils, which could lead to breakouts. You should be keeping a balance and not stressing out your skin too much.
3. You are also most probably using the wrong temperature. Your pores open and close according to the temperature. If the water you are using is too hot, they will open and lead to dryness, while if it’s too cold, the pores will close and it may be hard to clean them out. Lukewarm water to wash the face and your fingertips to apply the cleanser are the only things you should be using. Different water temps or using a sponge instead of your fingers can lead to irritation, dryness or other skin problems.
4. Exfoliation is also overdone in most cases, or a washcloth used instead of your fingers. Make it a rule to never use anything but your own hands when applying product to your face unless it us a brush for makeup. You do not want to be tugging on the skin and causing unnecessary abrasions. Exfoliators themselves should only be used 2-3 times a week. Overdoing anything can never lead to positive results, though using this product is good and healthy for your skin.
5. You may not be using enough water or rinsing your face as a whole. We often forget the nose, the hairline and the jaw when we are rinsing our faces but those are just as important as the rest. So before you fall into bed at night or hurry off to work in the morning, take a moment to really wet your entire face, wash off anything unnecessary and then go on with your day.
6. You should be applying moisturizer if your skin is dry or itchy, but you should be careful about the products you use. You should not be using anything with a fragrance, colorants or synthetics preservatives like paraben. Avoid anything with Sodium lauryl sulphate as well. Apply the moisturizer right after cleansing, before you have pat (not rubbed) you face dry. This allows for maximum absorption into the skin, while after you have dried your face off it may simple make the skin feel greasy.
At the end of the day, do not be afraid of your own natural oils and do not be spending too much on products for cleansing either. Simple, natural, and scent-free is what you should be aiming at, to ensure you keep your skin away from irritation and breakouts. All skin types benefit from cleansing with oil, so do not worry about how to go about it. Just make sure you are not making these mistakes we are all prone to and you shall be glowing with health the next time you face the world.
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock
Don’t Miss: How To Wash Your Face Right