The 1970s have made a comeback with the maxi skirt, which is essentially a skirt where the hemline extends to the ankles. We are no longer in a time period where we are forced to cover our legs for fear of society’s response to our shameless behaviour, but we are most certainly enjoying the freedom of choice in this matter, as well as the ease of mind a maxi skirt provides. We can be both comfortable and stylish, without the added worry of having our legs done, tanned or simply trying to keep our minis covering our essentials. Current retailers have capitalized on the popularity of the skirt and have entered the market all guns full throttle! Just because the skirt reaches one’s ankles does not mean it cannot be simply divine in appearance, either! Check out some cool ways of wearing maxi skirts in fall for radiating a big dose of chic and effortless allure!
Thanks to the big variety of maxi skirts available now, you can find options including pleats, slits, lace and tulle. There’s tie-dye and floral, prints and sheers, while we have a collection of mesh nets, lace trims, fold-overs and tiered items to choose from. Crop tops seem to be the top of choice, while some have shirts or camisoles tucked in under. No matter what your style may be, there are so many ways to wear the maxi skirt in fall.
There exist a few rules with the maxi skirts you must remember. Not following them would be akin to committing a fashion faux pas! If the skirts are loose and billowy, the tops should always be fitted tight. If they are tight, the top should be loose. If there’s little in terms of leg being shown, go for more skin around the shoulders and chest. If there’s too much leg, then keep the top covered. Also, if you are tripping over the hem of your maxi skirt, make sure you get yourself to a tailor, as it is way too long to wear! The hem should not surpass your ankles. You can then ether wear boots, loafers, heels or flats, the shoes are up to you.
Some rather interesting styles have been revealed for wearing your maxi skirt in fall. All are quite uniquely individual, tailored to match the wearer of the skirt.
1. Your National Colors: No matter where you’re from, the colors that define your clan or country can always be declared by your maxi skirt. This includes Scottish tartans flaunted before the Brits. There might not have been independence, but national pride runs high in the country!
2. Voluminous Skirts: The maxi skirt may be ankle length but that does not mean you cannot have fun with volume and design. Longer in the back and ankle-length in front, this particular style can take you on a journey through the fashion world.
3. Perfectly Sheer: Most maxi skirt collections include the sheer look. Whether it’s sheer all the way down or in panels is a different story. In all cases, however, you should make sure you’ve worn proper covering underneath so as to keep your outfit rated G.
4. Vampire Reds: We love this look way too much! It may look like you belong on a vampire series or perhaps have way too much in terms of confidence, but the red maxi skirt is simply perfect. Add a fitted V-neck top and leather jacket and you have the sultriest maxi skirt look in town!
5. Crop to top it: You’re short and hate it. You want to add a bit of height to your appearance and turn to fashion for support. The fitted crop top with a loose single color maxi skirt, possibly with a bit of volume or pleats, will do wonders for your looks. Give it a try yourself!
6. Furs and Slinky Maxis: The temperatures are dropping and you are getting those furs out. Couple a warm fitted sweater with a slinky maxi under that fur coat and you have yourself a rather sleek New York style fashion sense.
7. That Slit: We are in love with the sexy thigh-high slits in the maxis. A single slit to one side simply adds to the allure of the brightly coloured skirt you are wearing our, with a crop top and comfortable heels to complement the look. It has a certain confident elegance that it exudes as a fashion piece, does it not?
Photos courtesy of Stylebistro, Vogue UK
Don’t Miss: How To Wear Maxi Skirts