NYFW Spring 2016 Brightest Street Style Moments
While the Fashion Week runway shows capture all the attention, it is the styles seen on the streets that really reels us in. Each and every show attracts some of the most fashionable of It girls, who cannot but appear in the most fitting and appropriate of outfits in line with the latest fashions and often in brands matching the shows they deem fit to attend. New York Fashion Week has been first on the list, with London to follow next, where we expect some incredible shows with the most astoundingly dressed of audiences. The British are as in tune with their fashion as are the French and Italians.
So what exactly have the past few days of New York Fashion Week spring 2016 street fashion consisted of?
• Slits up the thighs are a common enough thing.
• Skirts are either minis or falling past the knees for the most part.
• There are some gorgeous long vests with trouser sets that we have noticed are prominent on the runways this season as well.
• Black seems to be a big color block to work with.
• Denim coveralls and pants make their own appearance as an ode to the ‘70s.
• Transparency and suede, along with black leather, combine with the denim for an all-out ‘70s theme, the biggest trend of the 2015 seasons that has also slowly seeped into 2016 it appears.
• There is a bit more of a casual aspect to the street style, including the combination of sweaters and miniskirts, polo shirts with denim, jean shorts and dresses.
• Black and white options offer an optical illusion with stripes at different angles utilized on one particular long sleeved dress with matching thick-heeled ankle strapped d’Orsay.
• If you are going to be glamorous, it only makes sense to wear dresses and shoes that are star spangled and looking fine.
One particular sweater that stands out is one with patches stitched on claiming that she is a radical feminist and that she values gender equality. Political and social messages are not new to the fashion world so it would make sense to see something of this calibre appear. Handbags appearing on the streets were often of intriguing looks as well, some with fur hanging off in an attempt to match up with the FW 2015 trends. Tassels, fringe and interesting accessories keep us intrigued throughout. Despite the cooler weather, many did not pick up a jacket, nor did they switch out of the sandals that are clearly worn with love. Between pleated pieces, denim pants, knit corded sweaters, thin belts, center slit skirts and oversized sunglasses, this was a rather Americanized version to street style, with only a few more chic and sophisticated looks out from the runway.
One particular look we fell in love with includes a bright pink top tucked into a side-tie waist pinstriped pair of trousers, one shoulder peeking through a mass of pink ruffles cascading down her side and looking positively fabulous. Then again, it was fun to see a crisp white tee tucked into a pleated leather skirt with a rather well rounded bust drawn onto the chest region, effectively saying I’m naked while still protecting my body from the colder breeze out. While some had a slightly sexier feel to the outfits, others looked bedraggled and not quite as lovely as one would expect the crowd to be during the New York Fashion Week days.
Photos courtesy of Vogue, WMag